Capricorn Research is an active participant with XBRL both within the US Jurisdiction and International since 2002. Capricorn Research participated in the development of the US GAAP XBRL insurance taxonomy used by the SECís Voluntary Filing Project starting in 2005. Capricorn Research assisted in reviewing the 2005 insurance taxonomy during 2007 for its release in December 2007.
Capricorn Research was founded in February 2004 by Gary A. Wicklund
- Provide consulting services for companies to learn about XBRL.
- Provide consulting services for companies filing with the Securities Exchange Commission using XBRL.
- Encourage participation by academic institutions and organizations to learn about XBRL.
Why Was Capricorn Research Formed?
What About The Founder?
- Open and promote avenues to do research in the financial community Ė especially for insurance and banking.
- Provide examples as to how to do financial reporting with web services using eXtensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL.)
- Facilitate the sharing of data electronically for research in the academic community.
Gary Wicklund has over forty years experience working with data for analysis and research. Following his academic studies he taught for twenty years in the Management Science Department in the College of Business Administration at The University of Iowa. In 1988 Gary continued his career in business with regulatory reporting for the insurance industry. He retired from Nationwide Insurance in 1998 and Eagle Technology Management in 2004. His work with XBRL began in 2002 in Berlin at the XBRL International Conference. He has continued to apply research techniques and technology to expand the process of decision making. He is a Fellow of the Decision Sciences Institute and became a charter member in 1968.